Sunday, December 04, 2005

Prague: Cheaper Than David Dickinson



The Main Square, some lampposts and a pointy roof.

My latest expedition took me to Prague, which is incredibly beautiful (in a gothic way!) and practically gives away food and drink. In one bar we went to (that's myself and some Austrian friends; Mario, Kathi, Max and Eva), I paid less than 50p for half a litre of Staropramen - cripes. In the supermarkets, you can pick up the original Czech Budweiser (Budvar) for 20p per half litre bottle. I turned into a small child, running up and down aisles excitedly and attempting to fit as much stuff into my bag as was physically possible... Cigarettes cost between 1-2 Euros depending on brand, which means that everyone smokes, and they have amusingly strict rules on importing goods - you are allowed to bring back 25 cigarettes for "personal use" - how do you buy 25 cigarettes?

We did some cool stuff - we saw an ice hockey game at the biggest stadium in Europe which was incredible and although the atmosphere was a little disappointing the quality of the game was great (not to mention the appealing female dancers during the breaks!).

We also laughed a lot at the silly places names...



Stayed in a bloody nice hotel...


(4 star luxury for 2 star prices...)

Ate and drank more than our body weight in food that cost no more than a G&T in Wetherspoons...



Eva, Max, VT, Kathi, Mario

Walked through the city...


Karlmost - Karl's Bridge

And caught some pretty awesome views from the castle...



The whole city is amazing, managing to be beautiful and romantic at the same time as feeling unspoilt and... downright cheap. Can't wait to check out more of the nightlife when I return...

3 Comments:

At 9:59 am GMT, Blogger carpet ministry said...

you and your adventures boyo! can you post me some budvar? when are you coming home for christmas? make it by the 19th and you can come to my party? gwaaan

 
At 4:59 pm GMT, Blogger Jon said...

The Budvar is in the post. And by "the post", I mean "my stomach".

I'm home on the 16th! So party on Wayne! Is this the show with Esio Trot, Samantha Mumba and AMBG?

 
At 1:35 am GMT, Blogger carpet ministry said...

ah. jon. i see your heart is in the right place, but i have clearly totally failed to inform you of things. you no getty my email? or is there a conspiracy going on which is why no-one has replied to it?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home